MorrilonRaker - James Cairns

Strange that about halfway through the week au Francais we all decide to begin writing blog posts, and not a moment before, isn't it? I suppose I best explain why...

So to start with, there was a literal day-long bus ride, which for the most part was wifi-free, so no blogs there about goings on. That went well. We all had varying degrees of far too little sleep to be healthy and far too many sweets to allow teeth to remain hole-free, and I myself had so much coffee that the beat of my heart was similar to a rave tune by Scooter. I must say that the ferry outer decks were reflective of that of the ship from For Your Eyes Only, which was nice. All in all, a good trip with banter to spare and very few hiccups, except for one lad who glugged a whole bottle of something green. He had many hiccups.

Also, Toblerones. Expensive. Very expensive. 

Then there was a day of water. In the morining, I wriggled into a wetsuit, matching lycra jacket and lifesaver to take part in a bit of white water rafting, being instructed by Harrison Ford's body double. At one point we got caught on a rock and half the raft went under, (un)fortunately, I didn't go under. And then lunch. Yum. Post-lunch, we then did this activity called hydrospeed. Hydrospeed is like bodyboarding down rapids, and it's as mental as that sounds. I rolled over. Twice.

The day after that was time to go up the mountain to Refuge de Folly, a charming hut some 8 hours up, given the intense heat. The walk was long, hard and sweaty, but laughs were had and we all supported each other to get to Folly. Go us!

We played many a card game that night and shared tea before going to bed. I got up at 4:45 because I'm a madman to walk up further to the Lac de Chambres (lit. Lake of Bedrooms) which was simply spellbinding. After eating brekkie, we essentially jogged down the mountain to be back for lunch. I stubbed my toes, all of them, several times. Ouch.

That, and indeed this, afternoon saw my group and group 5 head to Lac Bleu, a deceivingly frosty lake in Morillon. I had a paddle, a divebomb, a poor attempt to play volleyball met with friendly ridicule and two Cornettos over that relaxation session. So I wasn't really that 'relaxed' on reflection...

Over the course of the past few days, the Sun and I have become good friends, resulting in a debatable tan/burn affair going on on my visage. I like to think I'm brown. Others say pink. At least I'm not my usual shade of grey-white.

Comments